Happy all! Today is day 5 of whole30 for me and I'm finally feeling well. I'm learning more and more that sugar is sugar is sugar is freaking sugar. I spent so much time perfecting recipes for Modern Paleo Holiday Cuisine and totally over did it on the sugar, albeit unrefined sugar. It's totally okay to have these kinds of treats once in awhile, and much better than anything commercially made, but it's still sugar and your body still recognizes it as sugar! So anyway, what I'm saying is, that this whole30 started out rough for me. I had a headache and felt crappy until today. I'm hoping things move uphill from here.
Today I have an awesome and easy recipe that will make your taste buds dance. It's different; it's a tad spicy and a tad sweet... And obviously whole30 compliant.
I am providing instructions for simple baked chicken, but you can used any leftover chicken or shrimp even. Serve this over cauliflower rice, veggies, or my favorite way- in lettuce cups.
1 lb boneless skinless chicken
1 cup fresh thai basil (regular basil is also fine)
2 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp coconut aminos
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like spicy, less if you don't)
2 large cloves of garlic
2 tbsp fresh habernero pepper, chopped into pieces
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
1/2 cup cashews, crushed
1/3 cup chopped pineapple
1. Cook your chicken. Preheat oven to 350F. Toss raw chicken pieces with oil, salt and pepper. Wrap chicken in foil lined parchment paper "pockets". Bake until cooked through.
2. While chicken is baking, prepare the sauce. Place all sauce ingredients into the food processor and process until a pesto-like sauce has formed. It will have pieces of basil, and not be completely smooth and that is perfect.
3. Chop cooked chicken and place it in a large mixing bowl.
4. Toss chicken with sauce.
5. Add chopped scallions, pineapple, and cashews. Toss it all together.
6. Serve warm over cauliflower rice or in lettuce wraps (my favorite way).
Hi There, I'm
- I have a love for clean eating and love experimenting in the kitchen for my two food sensitive children. I founded Planks, Love and Guacamole, to create a sustainable paleo lifestyle without missing the comfort of traditional meals.