Broccoli Cheese SoupToday's post is a guest post from whole30 and paleo foodie, April. You can find April on instagram. Follow her for all sorts of inspiration and fun food pics. April used my S'Mac and Cheese sauce to make this creamy Panera style Broccoli Cheese Soup! It looks so delicious and I can't wait to hear what you all think!
I wish I could say that cooking has always been a passion for me but I can't. The truth is, I couldn't be bothered with it. Cooking involved putting whatever frozen food on a tray and baking it! Since recently transitioning to a Paleo lifestyle I've discovered cooking is a requirement. Not all my recipes are winners but this one just might be. Broccoli Cheese Soup was one of my favorite pre-paleo foods. Alanna's "cheese sauce" was a total game changer and I knew I needed to try to re-create that soup! This is creamy, flavorful and the perfect comfort food! You could even serve it to your non-paleo friends and they'd never know the difference!
Broccoli "Cheese" Soup
1 tbsp. ghee
1/2 medium onion (about 1/2 cup), finely chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
2 tbsp arrowroot flour/starch
1 cup full fat coconut milk (mixed if separated)
3 cups broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 cups cheese sauce *see below
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste
*make your cheese sauce first, so it's ready to be added to the soup
2/3 cup avocado oil or light olive oil
1. Add ghee, onion and garlic powder to a large sauce pot, cook on medium heat until onion is translucent. Reduce heat to low.
2. Whisk in arrowroot flour, whisking constantly.
3. Add in stock and coconut milk, mix to combine. Cook 5 minutes to thicken.
4. Add in broccoli and simmer 20 min.
5. Stir in cheese sauce, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Enjoy!