This is such a yummy fall soup to warm you up and I love sneaking in some nourishing bone broth. I have a hard time drinking beef bone broth by itself, and this is a great way to get it in without tasting it at all. Alternatively, you can use plain chicken or vegetable broth.
The sweet potatoes or yams may be substituted with any winter squash. I am breaking up the recipe to make it easier to follow. If your soup is too thick for your taste, feel free to add some extra broth or coconut milk to thin it out.
For the roasted sweet potatoes:
3 cups sweet potatoes or yams, peeled
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground sage
1 tbsp melted ghee or olive oil
For the soup
15 oz can pumpkin purée or 1 3/4 cup fresh mashed pumpkin
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil
2 cups broth (chicken, bone, beef, veg)
2/3 cup full fat coconut milk or heavy cream
2 tbsp maple syrup *omit for whole30
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
For the topping
1/4 cup Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Roast your sweet potatoes.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Peel and chop potatoes.
Toss potatoes with salt, pepper, sage and ghee.
Roast for 45 minutes or until cooked.
2. While roasting, chop onions.
3. Sautée onions in the 2 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil.
4. Put onions in blender when translucent.
5. Add everything else to the blender- pumpkin purée, broth, coconut milk, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and pumpkin pie spice.
6. Once potatoes are cooked, add to blender.
7. Blend it all up until smooth. This may take a few minutes.
8. Warm soup in a pot on the stove top if necessary.
9. Warm all of the topping ingredients in a small pan and individually top each soup serving with spiced pepita and cranberry topping.
Hi There, I'm
- I have a love for clean eating and love experimenting in the kitchen for my two food sensitive children. I founded Planks, Love and Guacamole, to create a sustainable paleo lifestyle without missing the comfort of traditional meals.