Sweet and Spicy Plantain PieThis is sort of like a Dominican Shepard's Pie, if that existed. It's a super flavorful meat based pie topped with mashed plantains. It's really spicy because I've used Dominican peppers, they are always available at my Ethnic market but you could use any kind of pepper, even a sweet bell pepper if you don't like spicy. I love the way the spicy peppers taste with the sweet plantain mash.
I'm warning you now, this is a spicy dish! I love it! If you are not so keen on spice, half the peppers or swap out half for sweet bell peppers. Taste the peppers after you sautée them and see what you think.
For the mashed plantains:
2 very ripe plantains (lots of brown/black spots)
1/4 cup ghee, split in half
2 tbsp full fat unsweetened coconut milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
Directions for mashed plantains:
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice plantains. To peel, slice the end off, then slice then in half then in quarters. Pull the peels off last.
3. Melt 2 tbsp ghee and drizzle on plantains.
4. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then flip and roast for another 20 minutes, for a total of 40 minutes.
5. When plaintains are caramelized on the outsides they are done.
Place roasted plaintains, 2 tbsp ghee, 2 tbsp coconut milk, cinnamon and sea salt in food processor and pulse until mashed. You will have to push down the sides a few times.
6. Set aside.
For beef filling:
1 lb grassfed ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped (1 med onion)
1/3 cup dominican peppers, minced
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 chop fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp arrowroot starch
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 egg for egg wash (you will only need half of it)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Take out a pie dish or baking pan. An 8x8 square is fine.
2. In a large pan, cook your ground beef.
3. While it's cooking chop your veggies.
4. Add the carrots to the pan first, cook a few minutes.
5. Add the peppers and onions next. Cook a few minutes until translucent.
6. Add the garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes.
7. Add cilantro, arrowroot starch and spices- cumin, sea salt, paprika, black pepper.
8. Pour the meat mixture into a pie dish or 8x8 pan.
9. Top with mashed plantains. Use your fingers to spread the plantain mixture out evenly over the meat mixture.
10. Lightly beat the egg. Use a pastry brush to apply about half if the egg to the top if the pie as an egg wash.
11. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes, until top is a golden brown.
12. Remove from oven and cool before serving.