Spaghetti Squash with Proscuitto and Basil Cream SauceThis sauce is the real deal. It tastes just like vodka sauce. It's super creamy and rich. Absolutely no dairy, no vodka and no chemicals involved! I use fresh ingredients that make it taste like real Italian creamy pasta sauce.
For the pasta sauce you can use whatever you like. I use my own homemade sauce, but a jarred sauce is just fine. For whole30 just make sure it's sugar free. Sugar free pasta sauce in the jar is not hard to find at all.
If you like a chunky cream sauce, skip the blender part. What I mean by chunky is tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil. I've tried this sauce both ways- chunky without blending it and smooth with blending all but the prosciutto, and I prefer it smooth but both ways are seriously delicious. The fresh basil is so pertinent, don't skip it. I really like this sauce with spaghetti squash, it coats it really well and it is like angel hair. The arrowroot is not entirely necessary, but I add it to thicken the sauce. The only oil I would sub to make the cream sauce is avocado, do not use extra virgin olive oil.
You will make the cream sauce just like making mayo; it essentially is italian spiked mayo. I always use my food processor, and have never once had a failed emulsion. You can use whatever device you use if you know it works!
*Makes 3 cups of sauce
*Makes 3 cups of sauce
2 cups pasta sauce (jarred, homemade, whatever you like)
Cream sauce *see below for details
4 oz/ 1/4 lb proscuitto, chopped
1 small onion (about 3/4 cup chopped), chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ghee or butter
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp arrowroot starch
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Cream sauce ingredients:
2/3 cup light olive oil *NOT extra virgin
1 egg, at room temp
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
Directions to make cream sauce:
1. Place everything except for the oil in a food processor. Pulse to combine.
2. With the lid on, slowly pour the oil, using a spouted measuring cup, through the small holes on the top of the lid, all the while constantly pulsing.
3. Once all of the oil has been added, its done! It should be emulsified, like mayonnaise.
1. Make the cream sauce first so it is ready to be added. *see above
2. Set a large sauce pan on the stove on med-low. Add the 1 tbsp ghee.
3. Chop your onions and add them to the pan to sauté. Sauté a few minutes until translucent.
4. Add garlic and basil to the pan last and sauté just a minute or 2.
5. Add everything from the sauce pan to the blender. Top with 2 cups pasta sauce.
6. Blend until smooth. Let it sit while you sauté proscuitto.
7. In the same sauce pan, sauté the chopped proscuitto just a few minutes.
8. Add the blender of sauce to the proscuitto sauce pan. Mix to combine.
9. Add the cream sauce to the sauce pan. Mix to combine.
10. Add the arrowroot starch, mix to combine.
11. Simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes, stirring to combine it all well.
12. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste. I usually add about 1 tsp of each.
13. Serve over spaghetti squash. Enjoy!