Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Garlic, Mushroom and Bacon Cream Sauce
You guys. You creamy pasta Italian loving paleo people! You are going to love this! I could seriously eat it every night! It is so delicious. This sauce is out of control. Bacon fat, roasted garlic, creamy mushroom goodness. This recipe is whole30 approved.
It's also so easy and you will only mess up one pan! Well, and a food processor. The cream sauce can be made in advance. Go make this. Right now. And report back to me. You are going to probably come to my house and thank me. #planksloveandguacamole tag me on Instagram, I love seeing your food!
I like to use stir fry cut pieces of chicken in this. You can cut up a breast and use it. I like thin cut stir fry pieces because they absorb the most flavor. Season your chicken before cooking it with extra sea salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. You're going to cook the chicken in the bacon grease, and love it! That grease will get absorbed into the cream sauce. So. Yum. It's like a bacon grease creamy garlic Alfredo romance. The "cream" in this sauce, and what makes it incredible is homemade mayo. http://planksloveandguacamole.blogspot.com/2014/04/homemade-paleo-mayo-4-ways.html I have a whole post with full instructions, if you haven't tried making mayo yet. You will never look back! Use only 2/3 cup oil to make the mayo for this. If you have your own mayo, you can substitute 2/3 of a cup of that and add 1 whole roasted garlic head to your mayo. Food process it in. I recommend using light olive oil as your oil for the oil in this recipe. This recipe can serve about 4. But the 2 of us pretty much eat it all.
1 lb thinly sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 slices of bacon
1 whole spaghetti squash, roasted (3 cups of cooked squash) *see instructions below
1- 8 oz package of mushrooms, sliced
1 batch of roasted garlic mayo http://planksloveandguacamole.blogspot.com/2014/04/homemade-paleo-mayo-4-ways.html- or 2/3 cup mayo plus 1 roasted head of garlic
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 tsp sea salt, plus extra to season chicken
1 tsp black pepper, plus extra to season chicken
1 tsp italian seasoning, plus extra to season chicken
1. Roast your spaghetti squash *see below for how to
2. Heat a large pan on medium.
3. Cook the bacon in the pan, do not even think about dumping the fat!
4. While bacon is cooking, season chicken with sea salt, pepper and italian seasoning- this is in addition to the ingredient list. You will add the 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp italian seasoning in later.
5. Remove bacon when it is cooked and chop it. Set side. Don't worry, you'll get it back.
6. Cook the chicken in the bacon grease.
7. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan when chicken is cooked.
8. Add the sliced garlic, sea salt, black pepper and italian seasoning. Cook garlic for about 2 minutes.
9. Add the chopped bacon back in.
10. Add the cooked squash.
11. Add the roasted garlic mayo and mix until all is combined, evenly coated and sauce is warmed.
12. Garnish with fresh parsley.
How to roast a spaghetti squash
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise. If it is huge, you can roast it for about 10 minutes to soften it, then slice it.
- Remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Oil the inside of the squash with melted ghee or oil of your choice.
- Lay the squash inside down, skin up, on the parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Let it cool. When it is cool enough to handle, remove the "spaghetti" strands with a fork.