Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium-large butternut squash (6-8 cups raw chopped, 5 cups cooked chopped)
3 cups bone broth (or chicken or veg)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup coconut cream (from the top of the can of unsweetened coconut milk)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter or ghee
2 Tbsp Grade B maple syrup (omit for whole30)
2 tsp dried sage or thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
*Optional toppings- bacon, sausage, crushed pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a roasting pan or line with parchment paper.
2. Peel and cut up squash.
3. Transfer raw cup up squash onto roasting pan.
4. Drizzle squash with olive oil and season with 1 tsp sage, salt and pepper. Toss it all to coat the squash.
5. Roast the squash at 350F for about 45 mins or until fork tender.
6. Take squash out and set aside to cool.
7. While squash is cooling, sauté onions in butter or ghee until translucent.
8. Add squash, onions, and everything else to the blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste, adjust salt to taste.
9. Add sliced or crumbled sausage, crispy bacon, crushed pecans, or nothing at all!