Grain free cashew butter and strawberry muffinsI wrote this recipe over the summer when it was strawberry season and my farmer's market always had fresh local strawberries that were out of this world. My son was 2 years old and theoretically loved strawberries; he would request strawberry smoothies and pancakes.... But he wouldn't eat them whole! So, this recipe started out as a paleo strawberry pancake fail, they wouldn't stay together but the flavor was there so I knew I could bake something with this ingredient combo. I should add they weren't an entire fail because my son ate the entire batch, they were just not perfect or recipe worthy.
This muffin recipe is a keeper and we make them a lot. Real simple ingredients, sweetened with just a little raw honey and easy to make. I make them whenever my strawberries are looking like they're ready to spoil.
I decided to add the filling and crumble on top later on, and you can skip both for a real easy strawberry muffin. But all together, this is like a PB&J muffin and the flavors all work really well together. Any nut butter will do, The recipe makes 10 muffins. They last 1 day in this house.
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1 heaping cup fresh chopped strawberries
2 Tbsp raw honey
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp cashew butter
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp almond flour
2 Tbsp coconut sugar, sucanat or maple sugar crystals
--->Mix all in a small bowl
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line 10 muffin tins with muffin papers, or spray tins.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt.
4. In a food processor or blender (I use a magic bullet), blend the eggs, strawberries, honey and vanilla.
5. Add the wet blended ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix to combine.
6. Pour about 1 Tbsp batter in each muffin paper.
7. Fill in the center of each muffin with about 1 tsp cashew butter.
8. Top another 1 Tbsp batter on top of each muffin.
9. Mix the crumb ingredients in a small bowl and top each muffin with equal amounts of topping.
10. Bake for 20-25 mins, until toothpick comes out dry and the top is a little golden. Enjoy! Makes 10 muffins.